The Covalent Bond

This site is dedicated to the sharing of ideas in the field of music, literature, and whatever else strikes my fancy. To play the music, you must have Rhapsody. I am just getting started. There will be more to come. "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Art Brut - Bang Bang Rock and Roll


I was waiting for this album for quite some time now. It was supposed to be released in May, but nothing appeared on Rhapsody. Then lo and behold today I noticed Art Brut's debut album Bang Bang Rock and Roll magically appeared. Art Brut is another outstanding British import. The term art brut is attributed to the French artist Jean Dubuffet who defined it as "works executed by those immune to artistic culture in which imitation has no role; in which their creators take all (subjects, materials, transposition, rhythm, style etc.) from their own individuality and not from the base of classical art or stylish trends". Now that we have been edified, on to the music. Art Brut has some similarities to The Fall. They have been called the British Weezer. Lead vocalists Eddie Argos has a unique style of singing mixing mostly talking and raving, with a touch of singing. Their lyrics are witty and sarcastic at the same time. We are definitely talking British humor here. I love it. The outstanding track is "Modern Art," but I also love "My Little Brother" and its lyrics of "my little brother just discovered rock and roll, there is a noise in his head and he is out of control." I thought it was going to be "Formed a Band," their earlier single; however, they reworked the song and added a long instrumental introduction to the song, wait about 3:30 minutes into the song and then the song is basically how I knew it previously, which is great. Other great tracks include "Good Weekend," "Moving to LA," and "Emily Kane." Hell, I like them all. Click here to listen.

1 Comments:

At 6:56 AM, Blogger J Shifty said...

"And yes, this IS my singing voice." Well, we can certainly add "honest" to your apt descriptors "witty and sarcastic."

Thanks for the tip, sir. Another great album I wouldn't have heard otherwise...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter