The Covalent Bond

This site is dedicated to the sharing of ideas in the field of music, literature, and whatever else strikes my fancy. To play the music, you must have Rhapsody. I am just getting started. There will be more to come. "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Friday, June 03, 2005

The Influence of the Gang of Four

Ok, I just got through raving about the Gang of Four and all the bands they influenced. Here's my list. It is by no means all inclusive. For some of the bands, the influence is dramatic and easily detected, for others it is much more subtle. It is just a start. If you can think of other bands, just leave me a comment. Click here to listen.

1. Riot Radio - The Dead 60s
2. Helicopter - Bloc Party
3. Date With A Night - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
4. I Hate The Way You Love - The Kills
5. Inertia Creeps - Massive Attack
6. The Melting Moon - Vhs Or Beta
7. Whew! - The Bucketheads
8. Dance to the Underground (new version - radio edit) - Radio 4
9. House Of Jealous Lovers - The Rapture
10. Movement - LCD Soundsystem
11. Emancipation - Moving Units
12. Sweatbox - The Wolfgang Press
13. Decent Days And Nights - The Futureheads
14. Skinny Sweaty Man - Red Hot Chili Peppers
15. Let's Do It Again - Big Chief
16. God Killed The Queen - Louis XIV
17. Whiplash - Zongamin
18. Maybe If I... - Victims Family
19. Love Buzz - Nirvana
20. Don't Wanna Stop - Six By Seven
21. Fall Of Because (Live 1983) - Killing Joke
22. Will You Smile Again Fro Me - And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead
23. Pattern Against User - At The Drive-In
24. New Teen Anthem - Les Savy Fav
25. Save Yourself - The Make-Up
26. Understanding The New Violence - Uncut
27. Picabo Who? - Free Kitten
28. Kill Yr. Idols - Sonic Youth
29. Deceptacon - Le Tigre
30. The Rat - The Walkmen
31. Hey Hey Hey (LP Version) - Pleasure Club
32. 3 Weeks - Ex Models"

3 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger Shawn Anderson said...

This is a good list... I'd probably add Franz Ferdinand to it.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Shawn Anderson said...

and just because I love them so (and know you have an appreciation as well) I'd add early Silkworm to the list as well. The most obvious sounding one ("The Cigarette Lighters") isn't in Rhapsody, but this one is fairly apparent as well - "Dust My Broom"

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger covalent bond said...

Hi Drake,

I can't believe I forgot Franz Ferdinand and Silkworm. The influence of Gang of Four was so great, I knew I would leave many out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter