The Covalent Bond

This site is dedicated to the sharing of ideas in the field of music, literature, and whatever else strikes my fancy. To play the music, you must have Rhapsody. I am just getting started. There will be more to come. "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Friday, August 05, 2005

Josephine Foster - Hazel Eyes, I Will Lead You


I recently stumbled across this album, after first being made aware of Josephine Foster and the freak folk movement by the always excellent blogger thus spake drake. The album is Hazel Eyes, I Will Lead You and as I like to say it is an acquired taste. This is truly a unique piece of art. Josephine's vocals are from another time and place. Her high pitched vibrato may take some getting used to, but you will not mistake Josephine Foster for any other artist. She accompanies herself with a vast array of instruments including guitar, harp, sitar, tambourine, ukulele, cittarina, black cat and whatever else strikes her fancy. Josephine has the unique ability to transport you back in time. There is a parallel to Josephine work in the excellent novel The Eyre Affair, in which a prose portal is developed that allows people to enter into works of fiction. Josephine Foster has developed a musically equivalent portal that allows us to go back in time with her lovely album Hazel Eyes, I Will Lead You. As to the location and time of her musical portal, I would place it somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains anywhere from the 1870's to the 1930's. Favorite tracks include "The Siren's Admonition" and "Stones Throw From Heaven." Click here to listen to Hazel Eyes, I Will Lead You.

2 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger Shawn Anderson said...

thanks for the shout out... I wasn't aware of The Eyre Affair. I will have to check that one out...

Foster stirs up some of the strangest reactions around my office when I play it. I find her music both comforting and uncomfortable at the same time, which isn't an easy accomplishment.

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally right to recommend this. I hope you're still enjoying it. My favourite CD of 2008. Ok, a couple of years late, but with nothing from Sufjan, Newsom et al, this has lasted the whole year on my CD player.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter