The Covalent Bond

This site is dedicated to the sharing of ideas in the field of music, literature, and whatever else strikes my fancy. To play the music, you must have Rhapsody. I am just getting started. There will be more to come. "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Friday, September 30, 2005

Song of the Day - Sept 30, 2005


Breakout the Stoli, it's time to party gypsy style. Even without the Stoli, I predict you will be dancing to the Eastern European rhythms of Gogol Bordello. Their song "Sally" combines violin, accordion, explosive guitar sounds, and a vague resemblance to the early energy of The Clash. Don't stop with the track "Sally." The rest of their album Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike is an excuse to lose all inhibitions, whether Stoli fueled or not. I especially liked the tracks "Never Young," the punked out polka of "60 Revolutions," and the dance hall influenced rhythms of "Not A Crime." I was very surprised to find out that Steve Albini had a hand in making the record. The man just has the magic touch. Click here to listen to "Sally," my song of the day. Click on the link to hear their whole album Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike

2 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Blogger Shawn Anderson said...

I love the Gogol!

You know lead singer Eugene Hütz plays a big role in the Everything is Illuminated movie, adapted from the great Jonathan Safran Foer novel. He plays the interpreter, Alex. Funny part, and being from the Ukraine, he's a natural.

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger covalent bond said...

Hi Drake,

I had no idea that Eugene is starring in the movie. I look forward to seeing it and I am always looking for a good book to read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter