The Covalent Bond

This site is dedicated to the sharing of ideas in the field of music, literature, and whatever else strikes my fancy. To play the music, you must have Rhapsody. I am just getting started. There will be more to come. "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Monday, October 16, 2006

Song of the Day - October 16, 2006


The Decemberists have moved from the indies to the majors with the release of The Crane Wife. Originally on Kill Rock Stars, The Decemberists have moved to Capitol Records. Have they sold out? I was initially concerned, but one listen to their latest album, reveals no hint of a sell out. The album derives its name from a Japanese folk tale that deals with love, hard times, good times, and broken promises. Instead of explaining the details of this bittersweet story, I recommend that you listen to "The Crane Wife 1 and 2." I also especially liked the closing tune "Sons and Daughters," a beautiful tune. However, song of the day honors go to "Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)," which deals with the separation of war; war being a common theme for The Decemberists. Yet, it is the interchange of choruses between Colin Meloy and Laura Veirs (thanks Drake)that gives this song a little something extra. Click here to listen.

2 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger Shawn Anderson said...

That's actually Seattle indie folkie Laura Veirs on vocals with Meloy, not Jenny Conlee.

The opening guitar strums remind me of The Rolling Stone's "I'm Just Waiting on a Friend," oddly enough...

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger covalent bond said...

Hi Drake,

Thanks for the correction. I wasn't 100% sure it was Conlee, but I couldn't find anything saying otherwise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter