The Covalent Bond

This site is dedicated to the sharing of ideas in the field of music, literature, and whatever else strikes my fancy. To play the music, you must have Rhapsody. I am just getting started. There will be more to come. "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Monday, October 09, 2006

Song of the Day - October 9, 2006


I had never heard of The Asteroid No. 4 until very recently. I was surprised to find out that this Philadelphia based band has been around for ten years. With the release of An Amazing Dream, The Asteroid No. 4 have a total of four albums. They specialize in a brand of psychedelic pop that could have come straight out of the 60's. With a sound that at times reminds me of The Byrds, I find the album grows on me with repeated listens. In particular, I found the vocal harmonies very appealing. One of the best tracks that takes advantage of their great vocal harmonies is "Ask Me About Pittsburgh." The song is basically of a bipolar nature, in that the first half is a more traditional song, albeit in a psychedelic mode, while the second half features a more Syd Barrett influenced sound that sounds as if it was recorded at some great distance, perhaps in a cave. The song ends with a growing distorted rumble, that I believe is supposed to represent a train. Click here to listen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter