The Covalent Bond

This site is dedicated to the sharing of ideas in the field of music, literature, and whatever else strikes my fancy. To play the music, you must have Rhapsody. I am just getting started. There will be more to come. "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Monday, May 22, 2006

Song of the Day - May 22, 2006


I am extremely impressed by Shearwater's recent release Palo Santo. This is a great album, on the whole it is a relatively subdued album, but it is full of complexity, beautiful sounds, and brief moments of dissonance. I always welcome a little dissonance. Palo Santo is a perfect album for lazy Sunday mornings. I would say it is one of the highlights of the year. Their sound is an amalgamation of many influences. My musical palate detects hints of Neal Young, Antony and the Johnson, and Bryan Ferry. Jonathan Meiburg's falsetto vocals have a lilting quality, that are just irresistible. The album is full of highlights including the arresting opening track "La Dame Et La Licorne," the harder rocking, Neil Young influenced "White Waves," and the beautiful acoustic trance inducing title track "Palo Santo." All of the above are great, but I particularly enjoyed "Johnny Viola," with it's Roxy Music overtones. The instrumentation is gorgeous, with a wonderful balance of piano, drums, guitars, bass, and trumpet. I mustn't forget Meiburg's awesome vocals. Click here to listen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter