The Covalent Bond

This site is dedicated to the sharing of ideas in the field of music, literature, and whatever else strikes my fancy. To play the music, you must have Rhapsody. I am just getting started. There will be more to come. "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

In Pursuit of the Perfect Cocktail - Part II

This weekend I continued my research in the study of the perfect cocktail. My subject was the Rob Roy. To the uninitiated, it is essentially a Manhattan made with scotch. In my quest for the perfect Negroni, I had acquired what has to be one of the finest sweet vermouths on the planet, Punt e Mes. This slightly bittersweet Italian concoction brought me one step closer to cocktail nirvana. As scotch varies greatly in taste, the question becomes what scotch to use. My supply of blended scotch and vatted scotch having been depleted, I was forced to use a single malt. I know this is heresy, but I had to continue with my research. A quick survey of my library of single malts led me to the Aberlour 15 Year Old Sherry Cask. With cocktail shaker and plenty of ice, I set out to prepare the ultimate Rob Roy, The Aberlour, when combined with the Punt e Mes in the ratio of 3 parts scotch to 1 part vermouth, with a dash of Angostura bitters, shaken and served up with a twist of lemon peel, was exquisite. I hesitate to try another scotch, as this elixir was heavenly. All research into the science of cocktails is further assisted with a selection of great music. A classic cocktail, such as the Rob Roy, is best served with great jazz. Click here to listen.

1. Alfie - John Scofield Trio
2. Survival Blues - McCoy Tyner
3. El Burlón ( The Joker) - Yosvany Terry Cabrera
4. The Mercenary - Lee Morgan
5. The Wizard Of Montara - Christian McBride Band
6. Eye Of The Hurricane - Herbie Hancock
7. Blues To Steve Lacy - Martial Solal and Dave Douglas
8. Happy Time - Francesco Cafiso Quartet
9. Minor Yours - Chet Baker
10. Love And Hate - Grachan Moncur III
11. Close Your Eyes - Sonny Stitt
12. Body And Soul - Dexter Gordon and Junior Mance

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter