The Covalent Bond

This site is dedicated to the sharing of ideas in the field of music, literature, and whatever else strikes my fancy. To play the music, you must have Rhapsody. I am just getting started. There will be more to come. "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Thursday, July 07, 2005

John Coltrane - A Musical Timeline

If I could go back in time and meet any musician the choice would be difficult. Would I meet Beethoven, Bach, Jimi Hendrix, Charlie Parker, or one of many others? After careful consideration I would have to pick John Coltrane. As a former tenor player, Coltrane has been my idol for quite some time. He was a revolutionary saxman. He has a unique sound, which I can identify within seconds of hearing one of his recordings.

He initially gained prominence while recording with Miles Davis, before he developed his trademark "sheets of sound" as made famous on the track "Giant Steps." His music progressed from the traditional bop, to post-bop, and beyond with the avant garde. Though he initially became famous playing the tenor, it was the soprano sax that brought him the most fame with his version of "My Favorite Things." Throughout his career he made a number of famous recordings including: Giant Steps (His breakout album), Tenor Madness (A saxophone duel with Sonny Rollins), Kind of Blue (What some consider the greatest jazz album ever), A Love Supreme (What others consider the greatest jazz album ever), John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman (A great album where Coltrane accompanies Hartman's classic vocals), and Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane (Two masters working together).

I attempted to put a list together that is a chronological timeline of Coltrane's recorded works. It is not necessarily when the records were released. The intent is to show how Coltrane's work changed over time; how his sound became more dissonant, while he searched for a spiritual awakening through his music. Coltrane tragically died in 1967, however, we will always have his music. Click here to listen.

1. Airegin - Miles Davis
2. Tenor Madness - Sonny Rollins
3. Ruby, My Dear - Thelonious Monk
4. Moment's Notice - John Coltrane
5. Good Bait - John Coltrane
6. Miles - Miles Davis
7. So What - Miles Davis
8. Giant Steps - John Coltrane
9. My Favorite Things - John Coltrane
10. Greensleeves - John Coltrane Quartet
11. Softly As In A Morning Sunrise - John Coltrane
12. Impressions (Live) - John Coltrane
13. You Don't Know What Love Is - John Coltrane Quartet
14. Lush Life - John Coltrane/Johnny Hartman
15. Afro Blue - John Coltrane
16. Resolution Part 2 - John Coltrane
17. Nature Boy - (live) - John Coltrane
18. Transition - John Coltrane
19. Ascension-Edition II - John Coltrane
20. Amen - John Coltrane
21. Out Of This World - John Coltrane
22. Love - John Coltrane
23. Dusk-Dawn - John Coltrane
24. Tranesonic - John Coltrane
25. Jupiter - John Coltrane
26. My Favorite Things - John Coltrane

1 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger mountmccabe said...

Cool. I am listening to this right now.

I got A Love Supreme first then after a while followed that up with My Favorite Things... which I wasn't thrilled with (it's not bad; it's just hasn't excited me.) That was it until I recently bought Blue Train and then Live at Birdland on cassette to listen to in the car. Both are quite fantastic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter