The Covalent Bond

This site is dedicated to the sharing of ideas in the field of music, literature, and whatever else strikes my fancy. To play the music, you must have Rhapsody. I am just getting started. There will be more to come. "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Friday, December 29, 2006

Song of the Day - December 29, 2006


The Plants debut release The Mind Is a Bird in the Hand is an epic freak-folk recording, and should not be missed by fans of the genre. Based out of Portland, the band consists of Josh Blanchard and Molly Griffith, who were recently married. The album title left me puzzled, however Josh Blanchard had explained in a previous interview,"It comes from a movie, Dementia 13, where a woman is freaking out and her analyst tells her to picture her mind as a small bird in her hand—when the hand is calm, so is the bird, and thus the mind. It really struck me as a good visualization technique, but then it took on more meaning." Molly is a cellist/pianist with a love for medieval music and has played with the likes of The Decemberists and 31 Knots. "Acorn Child" has a mystical air to it with sitar, cello, and acoustic guitar. Josh reminded me of very early Jethro Tull, but with a much more sinister twist. Click here to listen.

1 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger ramblerto said...

Hi! I came to your blog and found this post a very nice one.
I don't know many of the bands because i am from South America, but it is very interesting, plus i like those kind of anecdotes on band, cds, songs, and that stuff names.
I hope to listen all the cd.

A thing that srtiked my mind is that they are married.. i mean its really nice.. it would be really nice to play along with your girlfriend or wife, or family in general.

Nice blog!
Nice name too.. in spanish I thing it would be.. El Enlace Covalente.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter