The Covalent Bond

This site is dedicated to the sharing of ideas in the field of music, literature, and whatever else strikes my fancy. To play the music, you must have Rhapsody. I am just getting started. There will be more to come. "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Friday, February 11, 2005

Song of the Day - Feb 11, 2005


"Little Sister" by Silkworm is my choice for song of the day. Silkworm has been around since the early 90's, and this particular track dates from 92. This track ages well, I would have to say. The song starts out with some noisy guitars, definitely influenced by Neil Young during his Crazyhorse period. The entrance of the vocals are somewhat menacing, reminding me of the Ian Curtis school of singing. The track keeps building in intensity, while never quite reaching a frenzied pace, only to fade away at the end. I immediately liked it. One of the reasons I like it, could be that Steve Albini produced a number of their records. I am not sure that he produced this track, but judging from the sound, I would have to say yes. If anyone knows, please leave a comment. As I mentioned earlier in my blog, I used to listen to Albini when he was a dj at Northwestern's radio station, which was over 20 years ago. Click here to listen.

2 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Blogger Shawn Anderson said...

I love this song. My favorites from the unpronouncable (L' Ajre where this track originated) first release are "Three Beatings" and "St. Patrick's Day". Too bad the tracks are a bit messed up in Rhapsody.

I have the L' Ajre CD and can say that it doesn't give credit to Albini only that it was recorded at Avast studios in Seattle.

That doesn't mean that he didn't have a hand in it, though. Not only did Alibini go uncredited in several early Silkworm releases, but Albini's mother taught most the band in High School in Missoula, MT as well, so they had a connection to him pretty early on.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger covalent bond said...

Hi Drake,

Thanks for the info. It was really interesting to hear that Albini's mother taught most of the band. It just seems that everything Albini has a hand in, appeals to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter